Registered Nurse (RN) - Medical / Surgical Unit
Come work as a Registered Nurse in the Medical / Surgical Unit with Health Staffing!
Work Sites: Multiple
Status: Casual Part Time
Start Date: As soon as possible
Salary: $44 - $61 per hour
Hours: 0700-1500/0700-1900/2300-0700Apply Now
- Provide nursing care to clients in post-anesthetic recovery both by working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team, and provide nursing services in an operating room environment as a member of an integrated team performing varied and complex surgical interventions.
- Enhance the quality of life from the perspective of the client/family.
- Consult, confer, and collaborate with other health care givers as well as with other members of operating room team.
- Demonstrate expertise and leadership in nursing practice.
- Maintain and advance your clinical competence.
- Participate on designated hospital committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.
- Completion of a recognized advanced nursing specialty program in operating room nursing, or two years’ recent, related experience in an operating room/post-anesthetic recovery environment.
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Broad knowledge of nursing theory and practice within a client/family centred model of care.
- Broad knowledge of BCCNM standards for nursing practice.
- Comprehensive knowledge of perioperative nursing techniques and standards, and instrumentation and equipment set ups, for a wide variety of surgical procedures.
- Comprehensive knowledge of anatomy and physiology.
- Comprehensive knowledge of pharmacology, and client physiological reactions, related to anesthesia and conscious sedation, including knowledge of other drugs used in post-anesthetic recovery.
- Knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in client care.
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice in an operating room environment including ability to admit, assess and manage clients perioperatively and in post-anesthetic recovery.
- Demonstrated ability to respond immediately and appropriately to sudden emergencies.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as an integral member of an operating room team.
- Demonstrated ability to assess client responses during surgery, and to respond appropriately.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize workload.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement plans of care.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with, and deal effectively with, clients and their families, co-workers, physicians, and other health care staff.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate in writing accurately, concisely, and clearly.
- Demonstrated ability to teach clients and their families.
- Demonstrated physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Demonstrated skill in conscious sedation techniques.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques.
- Skill in the use of and set up of operating room equipment.
- Skill in techniques appropriate to the operating room and post-anesthetic recovery environments.
- Demonstrated computer skills including the ability to effectively use a computerized client care information system.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Health Staffing must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.Apply Now